CLA Online Coaching Program

Canadian Lacrosse Foundation

History

The Minto Cup is a beautiful silver cup donated by Lord Minto on May 31, 1901, for competition among the Lacrosse teams in the Dominion. Lord Minto was Governor General of Canada at the time. The amateur status of the competition continued until 1904.

The cup was placed under control of trustees and in possession of C.A. Welsh, of New Westminster, B.C., the last surviving trustee. When he died, the present Lord Minto of England, whose father donated the cup, was informed of the circumstances. He officially transferred the Minto cup to the care and management of the Canadian Lacrosse Association, who placed it into competition for the Junior Championship of Canada.

The Duke and Duchess of York (later King George V and Queen Mary) were present at the first game played for the Minto Cup between the Capitals of Ottawa and Cornwall in 1901. It continued as a Senior Championship until 1934.

When the Minto Cup was originally place into Junior competition in 1937, All-Star teams were built around Provincial Championship teams. This practice was soon discontinued and in 1960 the trophy became emblematic of the Canadian Junior "A" Championship.

Jim McConaghy Memorial Award - In 1963, Les Gilmour donated a medal in recognition of Jim McConaghy's long and faithful contribution to the game of Lacrosse. It is presented to the outstanding player during each Minto cup Series. Since 1990, Josten's Canada Limited has donated a 10K gold ring as the award.

CLA Bi-Monthly Newsletter

Newsletter Sign-Up

Enter the text above:


Club Excellence Program

CLA Calendar of Events